Author Topic: McClary warming oven  (Read 35 times)

Offline orbsphere

• View Profile
McClary warming oven
« on: November 26, 2018, 01:54:17 pm »
Hi all,

Included pic is of McClary warming oven. Is attached to Sears "Country Kitchen" electric range. Almost a perfect fit, just had to spread the base open approx. 1/8". Have used in this configuration approx. 50 years.

Mother wanted and found "wood stove" for her kitchen. Dad and I had been to BC visiting his family summer of 1969. When we got back to L.A., Calif. mother had already left deposit on the stove itself and owner (private party found through Penny Saver - no internet in those days) had called saying it was going to be sold to another party and we'd lose deposit if not picked up ASAP. So brother and dad went and picked it up the day after we got back home.

Mom was kind of disappointed there was no warming oven (Sears made one but seller didn't have). I said I had seen one that I thought might fit stored in the "garage" where the full sized family sleighs were kept. A call to Uncle Darce and a couple calls later my dad was on his way again back up to BC, but by himself this time as I was soon to be back in school (High School - I would have been 16 at the time and graduated the following year).

Only problem was there would be no exhaust hood. So I suggested why not see if the exhaust fan couldn't be removed from the old hood and re-installed somehow into the "new" warming oven and use that for the exhaust hood. Pop got on it right away and removed the old fan with light and installed into our soon to be "new" hood. There already was an oval exhaust outlet on top so just had to find a converter to a round pipe and a flexible piece of duct to align with the old and it was done and working in just a few days.

Mother's pride and joy and still in use today by me. How could I resist? As can be seen the old warming oven / "new" range hood still has its original patina on the tracery / filigree. Unfortunately a piece of sheet metal had to be cut out and removed for the installation of the exhaust fan and light unit.