Find us on Facebook: Cast Iron Canada – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1408817499448631/
If you wish to discuss any information on this page or post any information or pictures you have regarding this maker, please visit the forum @ http://forum.castironcanada.com.
It’s been shown through different sites that the “Diamond G” trademark owned by James Smart Manufacturing was gained through the purchase of “Gardner Tool Works”. This is proven to be incorrect. The “Diamond G” was definitely associated with the Gill Brothers – that assumed control of James Smart Manufacturing. The “Diamond G” was definitely in use as early as 1886 – so it could not be a part of the Gardner Tool purchase. I have never seen a Gardner Tool piece – let alone one with a Diamond G on it.
James Smart needed cash to build the business, the Gill Brothers were already part of the company. Shares beyond the 51% were sold to a 3rd party – one can only assume the 3rd party was trusted so at that point, James Smart himself did not have majority shares in the company. As far as I can tell, the 3rd party sold the shares to the Gill Brothers, and they squeezed Smart out of his own company.
The name “James Smart Manufacturing” seems to have been kept for positive brand recognition. Anything with a “Diamond G” would be post 1886, and would have nothing to do with the man “James Smart”. He died a sheriff of Leeds county.
Taken from Canadian Foundryman 1916
The plant of the James Smart Manufacturing Co. is located in the City of Brockville, Ont., and though apparently out of the beaten track of the industrial life of the country is ideally situated, both for home and export trade, being adjacent to the main line of both the C.P.R. and G.T.R. on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, 126 miles above Montreal.
While the record of this enterprising concern may not be unique in all respects, it is truly representative of the rise, development and steady growth of Canadian trade and industry. The James Smart Manufacturing Co. is one of the landmarks of Brockville, and an
important contributor to the town’s commercial prosperity. Like many another of Canada’s industrial assets, the early progress of
this company was such as to necessitate the construction of wings and additions to the original plant,until the general appearance of the building reflects the long but constant growth of the enterprise. The business was first established in the early fifties, being founded by James Smart in 1854. It became incorporated in 1881 and has since that date progressed steadily, and may now be considered as one of the oldest, best known, and most efficient manufacturing plants in Canada.
It is not alone on the Canadian trade that the sound reputation of the firm has been established, as for many years the arms of progress have extended out to lands beyond the seas, bringing back to Canada some portion of the world’s trade that is rightfully hers. The products of the factory are now being exported to great Britain, Australia, South Africa, and other countries, and trade
conditions are being studied to enlarge on their present field, while the company also maintains a branch office and warehouse in Winnipeg, Man., to handle its extensive and rapidly growing North West and Pacific Coast trade.
Range of Output.
To fully describe the various articles manufactured would be impossible in the space here permitted, as almost every conceivable piece of forged or cast hardware is produced. Among the principal lines are heating stoves and ranges, warm air furnaces and registers. Their speciality in furnaces is the well known “Kelsey Warm Air Generator,” which has revolutionized the practice of warm air heating giving results in the Avay of ventilation combined with thorougly warming that cannot be attained by any other method. In the general hardware department, builders’ house furnishings, cabinet and carriage makers’ hardware in cast and wrought iron and brass, pumps and plumbers’ goods, wrought steel butts and hinges, lawn mowers and rollers, jack screws, vises, warehouse trucks, copying presses, and many lines of labor saving tools and machines are produced in large quantities.
As castings of all sizes enter largely into nearly all of the lines of general hardware produced, the moulding shop may be considered one of the leading departments. Including the building where the brass furnaces are located, the total floor space is approximately
25,000 square feet, and will accommodate 80 workmen. Two cupolas – one of 25 tons and the other 5 tons capacity — are installed; the molten metal being distributed to the various sections of the shop by means of one and two ton ladles, travelling on monorails overhead. For the rapid production of the smaller castings, moulding machines are used exclusively; over 20 of these being in continuous operation. In order to meet the constantly increasing demand for certain brass castings, it has been necessary to augment the brass equipment, until at present 8 brass furnaces are operating for 23 hours each day, with an output of about three tons of
metal. Adjacent to the moulding shop is the tumbling room, where the smaller castings are subjected to the rumbling process to remove the sand. This department contains 14 mills, and in connection with the foundry, there is a three story fire-proof stone building, 60 x 40 feet, containing approximately 7,000 patterns.
Machine Shop and Wood Working Departments.
The main machine shop, three stories high, is 160 x 60 feet, with a total floor space of about 30,000 square feet. This shop is fully equipped for maintaining a maximum production of all sizes and types of machined hardware. In order to handle the large variety of work that passes through the shop, it is difficult to arrange the machinery so that each piece will follow a set course, but by means
of jigs and fixtures, adaptable to several machines, the progress of the work has been arranged in a systematic and efficient manner.
A new wood working shop has been recently completed. It is 3 stories high, 140 x 80 feet, of modern construction, well lighted and fully equipped. The chief products of this department are school furniture, plumbers’ cabinet ware, hammer handles, etc., in addition to manufacturing all necessary shipping crates and boxes. A small section of this building is used for the pattern shop, where all the wooden patterns are designed and constructed. A feature of this department is the completeness with which safety devices are applied to all of the machines and apparatus.
Hammer and Axe Department
High grade cast steel hammers, sledges, hatchets and axes constitute the main articles manufactured in the forging department, which is equipped with 12 trip hammers, two heavy drop hammers, eight forging presses and all the necessary furnaces, and auxiliary equipment required for the efficient and economical handling of the various makes and sizes. To facilitate the rapid progress of the work, and at the same time turn out a uniform product, all the forging machines are fitted with special jigs and dies, so that each piece — as it is finished — is a duplicate of its fellow. The various operations in the making of these forgings are very interesting, and the speed and. accuracy that is maintained in their production is truly remarkable. In connection with the forging department
is the grinding room, where the tools are edged, scale removed and otherwise shaped and polished. Twelve 6 ft. wet grind stones are used in this process. These stones, and all other grinders or dust producers, are fitted with exhaust system to to carry off the dirt
Power is supplied to the main machine shop and forging department by two 150 h.p. Crossley and Hunter gas engines. These engines are belt connected to the main shaft, and provision is made by means of two Dodge clutches, so that one or both sections of the shafting can be operated as desired. The hammer and axe department is operated by means of a rope drive of 100 h.p., the remaining 200 h.p. being used in the machine shop. The entire plant is lighted from a unit in the engine room, there being 1,400 lights throughout the building. Cluster lights are fitted in the main machine shop. Throughout the plant are several electric elevators for facilitating
the transfer of material from one department to another. In addition to being connected, by siding, with the two leading railroads, there is a wharf 450 feet long, which will accommodate vessels of 18 feet draft. During recent years, considerable land has been reclaimed by filling in the shallow portions of the river, adjacent to the company’s property. The entire plant, while composed of many buildings, is very compact, and with the shipping facilities at hand and a plentiful supply of labor, the future progress of this industry is well assured.